Pumpkin spice and sweater weather takes on a whole new meaning when you are a homeowner. With the changing of the season there are a slew of items to keep you busy this Fall.
Here are six Fall home maintenance must do tasks.
Gutters and Downspouts
As the leaves begin to fall, make sure to clean your gutters frequently. Neglecting your gutters can cause wood rot problems and pest infestations, not to mention major gutter damage.
- Be sure that there is no water pooling in gutters and that all support brackets are firmly in place.
Make sure that water flows through the area properly and does not pool. Pools of water can cause damage to foundations, driveways, and walkways.
Windows and Doors
Change summer screens to cool weather storm windows and doors.
Inspect and repair any loose or damaged window or door frames.
You can reduce temperature variations in your home by installing weather stripping or caulk to lower the heating bills.
- Replace the filter in your furnace.
Having a heating professional check your heating system can help you discover minor problems before they turn into costly major repairs.
Cleaning your ducts as part as a regular maintenance routine will provide relief to those with respiratory problems as well as reduce household dust and improve your heating system’s efficiency.
- In order to prevent pipes from bursting, it is important that you have a well-insulated pipe system.
- Remember where the water shut-off valves are located in case your pipes burst..
Chimney and Fireplace
If you use your fireplace regularly, you need to clean out all of the soot and creosote by having a professional inspect and clean your chimney.
Test your fireplace flue for a tight seal when closed.
- Be sure that attic insulation doesn’t cover vents in the eaves to prevent ice dams on the roof during winter months.
- Make sure the vents are free of plants and debris.
- If you want to avoid any unwanted guests, check bird and rodent screens for attic vents.
Landscape and Yard Work
Although it appears that grass has stopped growing in the fall, this is actually when they're growing deeper to prepare for winter. Now is the best time for fertilizing and reseeding your lawn.
- Prune your trees and shrubs after the leaves turn to promote healthy growth.
Check the condition of your trees and shrubs to avoid dangerous problems. If you do find issues, you should deal with them as soon as possible.If you've got tree limbs that are close to power lines, or close to your roof, you should trim them.
By now you are aware that having home maintenance inspections are essential for protecting the value of your home. If you are in Columbia, Lexington, and surrounding areas of South Carolina, contact S&J Home Inspections to schedule your home maintenance or pre-listing inspection. Get a peace of mind and protect your most valuable investment. Give S&J Home Inspection a call and book your home maintenance inspection today. Contact S&J Home Inspection to book your home maintenance inspection today!